Have you ever had friendships so wonderful that they became as close as family to you? This is the heart of what happens in Simply Living's Intentional Community! For ten plus years, people have come together to "be the change" within themselves and within an expanding community. It is simply amazing to see what transpires when a circle of like minded, kindred spirits come together. Meeting bi-weekly for a vegetarian potluck and circle of conversation, we open our homes and our hearts. Together we are the change! For details on time and location, please see Simply Living's web calendar. You are encouraged to join us! For more details about our community, please read below:
About Intentional Community (IC)
IC is an open intergenerational circle exploring community and personal development and living simply. We are an intentional community of friends. For many of us it has become our chosen family and has deeply inspired significant changes in our lives. IC has met 2x/ month since 1993, evolving out a local Utne Reader salon. Gatherings rotate between people’s homes and consist of a vegetarian potluck and a sharing circle. From these practices of breaking bread together and active listening, we have been witness to many events and transitions in each other’s lives. Additionally, the energy has generated a variety of other activities over the years, including:
- The Community on East Maynard Avenue
- A weekly playgroup for families in SL with young children
- Women’s group and book club
- Annual traditions such as dance parties and apple picking
- Seasonal rituals welcoming the solstices and equinoxes
- Ongoing participation in the Dances of Universal Peace and the Sufi Center of Central Ohio (two paths of the heart)
- Weekend camping excursions and field trips to OH intentional communities
- Coming of age weekends for our children
- Blue Spirit Group (a monthly group of spiritual practice and sharing)
- Weekly dinner groups
- Development of a trust fund where monthly contributions resulted in $5000 donated to non-profits
The Community on East Maynard
The Community on East Maynard is a group of five Simply Living households plus many additional households of like-minded neighbors who are interested in:
- Simple lifestyles,
- Urban living that is also family friendly,
- Community building,
- Artistic, musical and creative endeavors and
- Ecological and sustainable values
We are an eclectic community of students to retirees, individuals, young couples and families. The community grew out of two ventures:
- An Eco-team on our block sponsored by Simply Living in 1998.
- Three IC members who bought adjacent houses and began tearing down fences to share a yard, chores, tools, meals, childcare and friendship.
We are known in the greater neighborhood as an “exceptional” block of dedicated neighbors and community activists.
We enjoy each other:
- visiting on the sidewalk, in each other’s yards and around campfires
- playing with and caring for each other’s children,
- cooking and eating with each other,
- having block parties and other neighborhood social events and
- sharing tools and work on each other’s homes.
The Community has many assets, including being:
- in a walkable neighborhood close to many ethnic restaurants, a coffee shop, live music, video store and many other treasures,
- less than a mile from the SL office, the CCM and Crestview School (future home of Indianola Informal Alternative School),
- within a few blocks of four bus lines,
- 1/2 mile from the Olentangy bike path and Tuttle pool and recreation center and
- 1 mile from OSU
To learn about opportunities to rent or purchase a home in the community, call Kevin or Elizabeth 268-7192 . Homes purchased by OSU employees may be eligible for financial incentives offered through Campus Partners.